Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Real necks

Monday, March 5, 2018

Real necks

No. It was a shit idea and I shouldn’t have bothered. Those cedar neck blanks with the cocobolo layer looked corny and I messed up the geometry (hey - I’m only an architect).



Luckily I was able to buy some mahogany today, for example this piece of 52 x 52 mm. It’ll be so much better. 



There is a blemish in the wood but I was able to lay out two neck blanks ahead of that. One piece nested necks. No real wiggle room between the headstocks so I put on a new blade on the bandsaw. Anything to get it to cut straight. 



I went really slow and it worked great. To give you an idea of how small this saw is I placed a 150 mm rule on the table. To save the saw and the blade from any more work tonight I decided to continue with hand saws. 



This is the short rip saw I renovated last summer. It cuts well enough but I need to use it more to get it to really shine. A bit of oil on the blade helped it today. 



And here we are, an hour later I have two crisp neck blanks. I will admit I arranged the tools for the pic, but I did use all of them. And the mock lute got its neck attached too, I forgot to take a pic of that. 



No comments: