Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Just glueing a top (yeah right)

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Just glueing a top (yeah right)

This is a reso I've wanted to build for quite some time; it's for my friend Simon. The skeleton is the last of the three I made last year and It's gonna be clad with spalted curly alder. 

The sides went on a while back and I've started on the neck, but the top needs to go on before the neck is fitted. That means the holes and the nets must be made and glued... All actions have prequels that are easily forgotten. If I think about glueing the top, then that's exactly what I think of and plan for. But as I get closer to it I remember all the stuff that preceeds the actual glueing. 

So here's me laying out the holes. 


And cutting them out with my hefty and excellent circle cutter from Micheal Connor in Australia. One two three. 


The mesh is an aluminium reinforcement mesh for patching up cars. I attach it to the underside with globs of epoxy. Is there a better way? Write me. 


And when the epoxy FINALLY decided to harden it was time to do what I set out to do this morning - glueing the top. I use a thick piece of plexiglass as a caul, with a cheap mouse mat as padding between it and the top. I bought a few mouse mats on a sale. They're quite handy to have around but if they get any globs of glue on them they're pretty much effed up. The glue sticks like crazy. 




No comments: