Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Glueing back on the koa concert

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Glueing back on the koa concert

Humidity is down and once again it's safe to glue larger pieces. Tonight I'm working on the koa concert I have in progress. This particular koa wood has been a bit of a challenge but I think it'll all be fine when I'm done. 

First I chop out gaps in the cross banding strip. Remember, I build the bodies with the back braces in place before I fit the back. 


How stupid. The picture is upside down. But no matter. 

After the notches are cut I test it in place. 


And then I spread glue and clamp it all down. A couple of go bars complete the setup but the screw/slat arrangement is really good. 

I should also mention that I set the final neck angle by placing a shim under the nut end of the neck before I clamp the uke to the workboard. 

After tightening the wing nuts I check for squeeze out with a small mirror. Had my workshop been of proper scale I would have wandered round my big ruobo bench and looked from all sides but as it is I use a small mirror. 



No comments: