Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Shellac on cherry

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Shellac on cherry

I'm about halfway through the finish on this one. An injured finger makes it a bit cumbersome to apply the shellac with any force in the polishing. Also this time I use walnut oil instead of olive oil to see if it makes any difference, and the process seems to benefit from longer intervals between sessions. Walnut oil is said to work as a hardener in shellac but maybe I should hang on to this for a while to evaluate for myself.

And I'm in no hurry really, remember this uke is un-ordered since a while back. So this morning only the top got a coat. And the peghead.

6 comments:

Jerry Chiang said...

it looks great.
how thick is the cherry top, back and sides?
did you also put finish on the fretboard as well? it looks shinny.

Best,
Jerry

Sven Nyström, Argapa said...

Hi! I think the sides are around 1.6 - 1.7 mm, the back is about the same but the top slightly thinner. It's graduated around the edge.

There might be some shellac slathered on the fretboard, but I'll remove that with a razor and put some lemon oil on.

Anonymous said...

Is it a piccolo?

Anonymous said...

and is it still an orphan?

Sven Nyström, Argapa said...

Yes, and no. It's an orphan soprano, poor thing. It only has side dots because of the original order, but I think I'll add small position markers on the front of the fretboard as well. If I can be arsed. If it's needed.

Anonymous said...

hi Sven. The uke is looking lovely. wanted to let you know I am now in a position to afford the instrument if it is still without a home. All the best mate,

jon