Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder: Strange going-ons

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Strange going-ons

In the humble abode of the Argapanator, things are set in motion. I have this old guitar that a friend gave to me, with split braces and a bowed neck. No truss rod.

So I googled "straightening guitar neck" and found this method. The neck is heated carefully and placed fretboard down on a perfectly flat heated surface.

I used a stone sample and a thick piece of duralaluminium (at least in Swedish). Both was heated in the oven to 85-90 degrees centigrade. I shimmed the neck at the nut end and at the 12th fret, then clamped it down using cauls of moldable plastic.

After two attempts, it looks as if it worked! I might try it on another guitar as well.

2 comments:

Brian Newman said...

Cool!

Yan said...

Maybe I should try this on my destroyed archtop guitar, but there's a broken trussroad inside ;-( I suppose it won't work...
See you this summer ! Happy new Year !, Yan